Tuesday 21 May 2013

Bärner Züpfe (typical Swiss bread)


I used to bake this bread with my swiss grandmother when I was a little girl and spend holidays at her house. Now I do it with my children, who really enjoy the process! We eat it with butter and jam.

Ingredients and steps:

- 1kg white flour
- 1 tbsp salt

Mix it together

- 40 gr yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 dl milk

Mix all together with the flower and salt and let it rest for about 10 mn

- 140gr butter, in pieces, soft

Add it to the mixture and knead this dough for about 10 mn till it is nice soft. Cover and let it rest at room temperature for 1 1/2 hour.

-1 egg
- 3 tbsp coffee cream

Mix the egg and 1 tbsp coffee cream

To form the bread: split the dough in two halfs, form two long rolls of about 70 cm and make a braid.(I will be putting pictures to explain the process).
Place the bread on a baking sheet and brush the coffee cream over it. Let it rest again for 30 mn and brush the egg and coffee cream mix over it.

In a pre-heated oven, bake for 40 mn at 200 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment